Today was a super exciting day for my boys! Every time we go to the store they beg me to buy them goldfish but most of the time I say no because a lot of these foods are made with bleached white flour, additives, preservatives, food dyes, aside from the fact that they are super salty. YUCK!
The other day I came across this recipe that we made tonight and it turned out so GOOD and the boys loved it! It’s super easy to make you just need to purchase Goldfish cutters (I got mine here) These crackers are buttery, cheesy, and have about a million times the flavor of store bought goldfish crackers. They are dangerous, LOL. If you are avoiding gluten stay away because you won’t be able to stp!! LOL
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoon water
- Add the flour and salt to a food processor and pulse. Then add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add grated cheese a little at a time and pulse.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms into a ball. Continue pulsing between tablespoons – this could take a minute. You can also feel the dough and if it shapes into a ball, it is ready.
- Flatten between two pieces of wax or freezer paper, and chill for 10-20 minutes. This helps the butter get cold and makes for a puffier cracker.
- Roll the dough fairly thin. About 1/8 of an inch is a good thickness. More thin = crispier, but you don’t want it paper thin.
- Cut out shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-20 minutes depending on how thick your crackers are.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
The best part of it all, my kids had a fun activity that kept them busy for about an hr! ENJOY!